CUCCA Special Project Funding
Special project funding may be approved by the CUCCA Executive Board to provide support for projects, innovations in counselling or applied research in a counselling setting. Such funding approval would typically fall outside the parameters of CUCCA’s annual awards or occur when the Board sees an opportunity to advance the field of counselling and wishes to initiate actions requiring resources at its disposal.
CUCCA supports research and program development through its annual CUCCA Project Grant (PG) and Student Awards (SA). These awards, which have a maximum dollar value and time limit attached to them, support members wishing to make a contribution to the field of post secondary counselling. On rare occasions the CUCCA Executive Board may be approached by a member for support of a special project that falls outside the parameters of the PG and SA (ie: requiring a higher dollar amount or more than one year of funding). Also the Executive itself, seeing an opportunity to advance the field, might conceive of a special project it would like to have developed. Special projects funding may be initially granted for a maximum of three years. Recipients of special projects funding have the option of applying for a renewal of their award.
Members wishing to secure or renew special project funding need to make a written request to the CUCCA Executive Board through the President. this request should include:
- A rationale for the value of the project to CUCCA members and the field of post secondary counselling.
- Where there is an end product, a clearly articulated description of it and CUCCA’s entitlement to its use and distribution.
- An outline of the stages of the project development from start to finish with an attached time line of target dates for each stage.
- A detailed budget which includes, if applicable, other funding sources that are being used.
- A clear statement of what support, other than money, is expected from CUCCA and/ or its Executive Board members (e.g. work that is required to be done by the Regional Representatives, CUCCA providing members contact information, etc.).
- Applications are due by September 15, January 15 or March 15.
The President or his/ her designate from the Executive will act as the Project Reqeust Manager (PRM) when a special projects request is received. All correspondence will be funnelled through the PRM. When an application is received, she or he will distribute it to all members of the Executive Board who will then review it and send back their comments, questions, concerns. If required the PRM will contact the applicant and ask them to address the questions and concerns that have been raised and forward their response to the Executive. A special project request would typically not be approved before a discussion at an Executive Board meeting.
Projects will be evaluated on the perceived value to CUCCA members and the field of post secondary counselling, weighed against CUCCA’s available resources, including person power, over the length of the project agreement.
Conditions of Acceptance
Since the exact nature of special project requests may vary greatly, the conditions of the acceptance will need to be worked out on an individual project basis and be included in the special project agreement. A special project agreement outlining the roles and responsibilities of both CUCCA and the recipient will completed detailing:
- Time lines for project completion and receipt of CUCCA support, including non-financial support.
- A clearly articulated description of any end product (where appropriate) and CUCCA’s entitlement to its use and distribution.
- An agreed upon default statement that would outline the consequences should either CUCCA or the successful candidate no fulfill the obligations outlined in the agreement.
- The submission of a very brief (one page) progress report to the Executive of October 15, February 1, and June 1 until completion of the project.
- The submission of an annual report for distribution to the membership (e.g., Communiqué) at the June AGM.
Additional details may be included in the agreement as appropriate.