At the University of Waterloo (Waterloo) and within Centre for Career Action (CCA) , the Communications Specialist plays a key role in the development and implementation of all activities associated with a strategic and integrated CCA communications plan. The incumbent produces equity-informed and empowering communications in a wide array of formats to meet various stakeholder requirements for a a diverse client base such as students, employers, faculty, staff, prospective students, prospective employers, industry association professionals and campus visitors.
The Communications Specialist will play a key role in providing communications support to various teams within CCA (undergraduate, graduate student and postdoc, alumni, further education, employee advising teams etc).
- Develop and execute annual communications plan in alignment with the strategic marketing and communications plan and priorities and assess success with key metrics
- Develop, research and write stories, scripts, and key messages for all communication materials in all media formats – print, web, social media, videos and presentations
- Interview employers, industry experts and students to research, develop, write, edits an publish engaging stories for web, print, video, social and other formats
- Develop creative direction within overall Waterloo branding guidelines to create communication materials consistent with CCA, CEE and Waterloo overall branding for both employers and students, as well as Waterloo and the general public
- Develop and coordinate CCA social media feeds; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and ensure a person-centred presence on new platforms by keeping abreast of emerging social media platforms and trends. Communicate regularly with colleagues to manage CCA social media accounts as necessary
- Consult with the Manager, Digital Experience in CEE on projects involving paid online media search engine marketing, digital partnerships, etc.
- Develop, write and distribute internal communications to CCA, CEE staff and university departments
- Organize, write and manage CCA website content targeted to students, employers and general public
- Provide a vital link to CEE Communications, Engagement and Digital Experience (CEDE) Team, University Relations, student media and external media
- Lead and manage direct reports (co-op students) and ensure the delivery of results is in support of CCA’s mission and guiding principles, as well as CEE’s overarching vision, values and strategic goals
- Represent CCA at internal and external events
- University undergraduate degree, preferably with a specialization in communications, digital communications, journalism or a related discipline
- 5-10 years of experience as a Communications professional with examples of a solid and diverse writing portfolio
- Experience working with senior executives and diverse stakeholders is critical
- Strong knowledge of co-operative education, work-integrated learning, post-secondary education, or a similar organization and its mandate
- Excellent writing, editing, research and oral communications skills
- Advanced knowledge of social media communications
- Strong knowledge of branding and its application to various communications
- Full functional ability to use the features of Microsoft Word with no training
- The ability to create and coach others on the preparation of branded presentations utilizing the full functionality and features of PowerPoint such as animation and embedded media files
- Strong web content management system knowledge (i.e., HTML, Drupal)