Director, International Centre
Director, International Centre
At the University of Manitoba our strength lies in our community — individuals who are driven by curiosity and work together to shape a better world.
Our commitment to discovery encompasses everything we do; from the education we offer students to the workplace we offer employees. Experience top benefits, world-class facilities and a community that inspires one another to carve their own path.
Recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top Employers for nine consecutive years and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, UM is ready to help you take the next step in your career!
The Director of the International Centre reports directly to Executive Director, Student Engagement and Success the Director oversees all programs, services and supports aimed at facilitating successful transitions to, through, and from university life and study for all new and returning international students. The incumbent ensures IC initiatives are intentionally designed to address the specific learning, growth and development needs of international students. The Centre offers welcome and transition programming and supports, delivers international student advising (individual and group), provides intercultural experiences to assist with adaptation challenges, works with campus partners to develop interventions and educational programming to address persistence and retention challenges. The Director remains attuned to the experiences of international students at the University of Manitoba, through a range of means, including surveys, focus groups, and regular meetings with student leaders and ensures that interventions, programs and resources are informed by these findings. The Director oversees inbound and outbound student exchange programs, ensuring robust pre-departure preparations, resources, and supports and post-experience reflections, evaluations, and advisement are delivered.
The Director incorporates best-practices in supporting international students in a post-secondary environment. The Director is responsible for maintaining effective working relationships with internal colleagues, as well as our partner institutions around the world. The Director facilitates and implements international the student exchange strategic plan as a critical component of the University's efforts to enhance international student mobility, ensures as high quality of international programming and considers best practices in risk management. The IC also provides opportunities for cross-cultural understanding and will contribute to the equity, diversity and inclusion strategic priority of the institution and the division of Student Affairs through its services and program delivery.
The Director collaborates and partners across Student Affairs, Research and International, International College of Manitoba, University of Manitoba Student Union, University of Manitoba Graduate Students Association, University of Manitoba International Students Organization and accredited student groups. The Director regularly liaises with Immigration and Citizenship Canada, Manitoba Council for International Education, the Province of Manitoba, and external associations, such as the Canadian Bureau for International Education and Universities Canada.
The incumbent is expected to assume a high degree of initiative and independent judgment in the oversight, motivation, development, and training of International Centre staff, student staff, and volunteers. The Director, International Centre, is responsible and accountable for the work of 12 staff members; this includes hiring, supervising, and disciplining staff within the unit.
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
• Bachelor's degree required, with preference to program specialization in international development.
• Master's degree is preferred.
• Training in international development preferred.
• RISIA designation would be considered an asset.
• Knowledge of University regulations, programs and procedures as they relate to registrarial functions required.
• Minimum five (5) years of diverse experience in international activities including: international education, international partnership development, and international research cooperation required.
• Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience is required.
• Experience in managing a substantial operating budget is required.
• Preference will be given to individuals who have worked within a post-secondary environment and who possess expertise in supporting international students.
• Experience with volunteer management, community engagement, leadership programming and program development is an asset.
• Experience with other cultures through travel/living.
• Extensive knowledge in best practices associated program development, delivery and evaluation is required.
• Knowledge of best practices in delivery of student services, international education, and student mobility in post-secondary education required.
• Knowledge of student development theories and practices preferred.
• Knowledge of the unique transition and cultural adaptation experiences of undergraduate and graduate international students required.
• Knowledge of contemporary student issues, especially with regards to international students studying in Canada preferred.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
• Comprehensive group benefits program and pension plan.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program.
• A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s recruitment site, UM Careers where you will find the full job specifications for this opportunity: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=19238
Closing Date: January 17, 2022
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
All members of the University of Manitoba community are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination. For more information, please visit the University of Manitoba COVID website (https://umanitoba.ca/coronavirus).
The University of Manitoba is committed to the principles of equity, diversity & inclusion and to promoting opportunities in hiring, promotion and tenure (where applicable) for systemically marginalized groups who have been excluded from full participation at the University and the larger community including Indigenous Peoples, women, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and those who identify as 2SLGBTQIA+ (Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, questioning, intersex, asexual and other diverse sexual identities). All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact UM.Accommodation@umanitoba.ca or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy" (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.