Learning Commons Coordinator
Permanent - Full Time
Working at The Bishop Strachan School is challenging, exciting and rewarding. It’s also a lot of fun. This is the place to be if you value forward-thinking leadership and enthusiastically embrace a global perspective.
We offer the opportunity to join an exceptional community of professionals and contribute meaningfully to the education of tomorrow’s transformational leaders. As an employer, we focus on building and developing our employees to be the very best at what they do. We offer competitive compensation, a variety of benefits and supports, and a thought-provoking and inspirational environment
If you’re looking to challenge yourself and be a leader in girls’ education, we invite you to explore a career as the Learning Commons Coordinator with BSS.
Learning Commons Coordinator
Permanent - Full Time
(Commencing in June 2022)
Reports to: Learning and Research Specialist
Summary of Position:
The Learning Commons Coordinator is an information specialist who is skillful in selecting appropriate material to support the curriculum for the Middle and Senior School. The Learning Commons Coordinator is also an instructional partner who works with other Learning Commons staff to identify the necessary information technology competencies and information literacy skills and works with faculty to weave those skills into the curriculum. The Learning Commons Coordinator works in a procedural, consensus-building manner with faculty, students, parents, and staff in keeping with the school’s vision, mission and values.
Student & Staff Support
● Provides services essential to a program centered on students’ needs and the instructional goals of the school
● Promotes information literacy and digital citizenship in all individual and group interactions
● Provides reader’s advisory to students, faculty and staff, and promotes recreational reading through displays, special collections and reading programs
● Supports students in developing research skills, advises and assists students in selecting appropriate resources, demonstrates search strategies for databases, ebooks, the ILS (Destiny), and the Internet
● Supports faculty by providing access to appropriate resources for specific projects, and offers in-class demonstrations of search strategies
● Collaborates with teachers to host events and display student work
Information Technology & Literacy Support
● Maintains an online presence that allows users the easiest possible access the department page on our intranet; library catalogue system; Overdrive
● Manages the Acquisitions of Middle School and Senior School collections, selects, orders and coordinates cataloguing with all key stakeholders
● Shares with the learning community collaboratively developed and up-to-date policies concerning such issues as copyright, privacy, and acceptable use (Access Copyright, social media policy)
● Responds to and supports initiatives from school-wide departments by creating LibGuides content management system
● Maintain local and remote access to digital resources via IP Address and referring URLs
● Evaluate usage statistics of all digital resources
● Develop and maintain growing ebook collections troubleshoot hardware technical problems in the library and interface with the IT Department
● Oversees and coordinates the activities and processes of the Learning Commons Media Technician, and provides guidance and direction
● Work with outside vendors to manage subscription database renewals and trials
● Maintains frequent and timely communication with stakeholders (bulletin blurbs, book talks)
● Purchases materials, manages the budget, and maintains awareness in school library trends
● Promotes a welcoming environment in the Learning Commons that is conducive to learning
● Networks with other professionals through participation in local, national and international organizations
● Attends department meetings and participates in the Administrative Specialists Team meetings
● Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
● Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities
● Performs other responsibilities as required
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
● Graduate of a Library Technician Program with an emphasis on media and digital literacies
● Minimum three years of related Library experience in an educational environment
● Strong knowledge of reading materials, both curriculum-related and recreational, appropriate for Middle School and Senior School students
● Familiarity with Middle School and Senior School curriculum
● Competence in the effective use of online Library databases, and other digital and online resources
● Keen interest and understanding of emerging technologies
● Familiarity with Cataloguers Desktop, OCLC Connexion, WebDewey, and AMICUS
● Capacity to analyse problems and use the appropriate electronic tools required
● Advanced familiarity with library OPACs, library automation and ILS modules
● Proven strength in Microsoft Office, Google tools and products
● Excellent interpersonal skills in order to work well with staff and students
● Effective team player and ability to work independently with interruptions
● Proven ability to think creatively, work collaboratively and problem-solve
● Physical ability to perform shelving duties
Why Work at BSS?
We value the willingness to take risks in order to learn and grow - and not just for our students. At BSS, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unparalleled setting, with access to innovative tools, support and resources, so you can pursue ongoing professional learning, whatever your role. BSS offers a competitive total compensation package that includes:
● Extensive health and dental benefits package
● Faculty members participate in the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan and our administration participate in our robust pension plan with up to 8% match
● Lunches provided
● Discounted tuition for eligible staff
● Use of on-site fitness center
● And a chance to be part of a great community!
BSS Values Diversity:
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We are also committed to providing accommodation for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please contact the Executive Assistant, Human Resources and Finance at 416-483-4325, ext. 4207 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com indicating Learning Commons Coordinator in the subject line. For more information about BSS, please visit our website at www.bss.on.ca
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates for their applications;
however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca