Student Experience Specialist
Institution: Renison University College, affiliated with the University of Waterloo
Deadline: May 29, 2022
Posted: May 12, 2022
Renison University College, affiliated with the University of Waterloo, acknowledges that we live and work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Renison is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes ten kilometers on either side of the Grand River.
Renison invites applications for the full-time, one-year contract position of Student Experience Specialist (grade 14, starting range $52,000.00 - $65,000.00).
Respected as an inclusive community that values the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students, Renison is committed to engaged education for the well-being of the world, offering degree programs reflecting social engagement through the School of Social Work, and the Social Development Studies Department; global engagement through our Culture and Language Studies Department and community engagement in our non-degree programs, including the English Language Institute, through the Centre for Continuing and Professional Education. More information about the College is available on the Renison website: https://uwaterloo.ca/renison .
Objectives: Reporting to the Assistant Director, Housing and Student Life, the Student Experience Specialist provides day-to-day operational guidance to a team of 1 full-time staff and student staff to oversee the execution of programs and initiatives that support in the transitional adjustment, educational success, cultural adjustment, language skill development, and leadership growth of both international and domestic students studying at Renison University College. The Student Experience Coordinator ensures all programming and support initiatives are executed to support the student success and wellbeing of students, as well as performs a variety of accounting and administrative duties under supervision. Additionally, the incumbent will represent Renison in a manner consistent with the values, goals, and strategic directions of the University College.
• A College Diploma in a related discipline, such as Education, Social Work, Social Development, Leadership, or Higher Education is required. A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred.
• 3 years of progressive work experience in a related field of Student Affairs or Student Development.
• 2 years of work experience related to budget management and people management.
• Demonstrated organizational, budgetary and leadership skills
• Knowledgeable about student development theory, including the first-year student experience and international student experience, and has an awareness of the needs of first-year and senior students.
• Experience using software and programs such as Microsoft Office Suite and web-based applications (specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and social media apps).
• Demonstrates strong organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple demands simultaneously while remaining detail-orientated and professional.
• Displays excellent problem-solving skills, strong judgement, professionalism, adaptability, and diplomacy.
• Approaches cross-cultural communication and inter-group dynamics with sensitivity and respect.
• Strong customer-service orientation, and adaptable to work in busy environments.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated management and leadership skills; ability to direct, manage and motivate teams and individuals.
To Apply upload your application package (including, at minimum, a resume and three references) to Interfolio.
The review of applications will begin on May 30, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.
Renison University College respects, appreciates, and actively encourages diversity. As part of Renison’s commitment to equity within the College, we welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals with diverse experiences based on race, ethnic origin, religion, age, colour, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability or disability, including women, 2SLGBTQ+, Indigenous Peoples, and other visible minorities. While all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. Renison is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates participating in all parts of the hiring process. Please contact a member of Renison’s Human Resources department with accommodation requests. Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
References will be contacted at a later stage in the process as needed. The successful candidate will be asked for consent to have an educational and criminal records verification completed, as needed. The criminal records verification indicates the existence of adult criminal convictions, for which a record suspension has not been granted, within the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records.
A full job description is available here