Director, Global Partnerships
Institution: Vancouver Island University
Deadline: September 30, 2022
Posted: August 15, 2022
Vancouver Island University is searching for a new Director, Global Partnerships in International Education.
Located on the traditional territory of the Snuneymuxw First Nation, VIU maintains three campuses main campus in Nanaimo hosts an ocean-view campus, spanning 92 scenic acres, including lush stands of forest and Japanese gardens. The institution is built on the belief that all learners should have access to a university education. Class sizes are small, and the dedicated, talented faculty get to know students by name and provide attention and any help they need and prides themselves on offering program options that match student interests as they prepare for a rewarding career and a fulfilling life.
Vancouver Island University has undergone organizational change in the international portfolio in recent years and is looking to expand opportunities to establish its international brand. The Director, Global Partnerships is a new role that will lead the Education Abroad, Global Engagement, and Intercultural Group Programs units while collaborating with the Associate Vice-President, International Education and the International Education Leadership Team to identify international partnership opportunities in alignment with university strategic priorities.
Reporting to the Associate Vice-President, International Education, this role will work with the International Education leadership team to help the university to connect with a diverse network of outstanding partners, institutions, and organizations around the globe to engage in transformational work while establishing a strong and positive connection to VIU.
Key areas of oversight and responsibility are:
• Provides senior operational leadership with regards to the planning, development, and management of the Global Partnerships Unit.
• Works with the International Education leadership team, campus stakeholders and external partners to develop global partnerships that are mutually beneficial, contribute to the international positioning of the university, and help VIU achieve its long-term goals.
• Leads a team of Managers responsible for global partnerships, education abroad, and supporting safe international education experiences.
• Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to highlight and promote the university’s global partnerships.
• Strategically evaluates existing programs and partnerships based on strengths, weaknesses, ROI, and overall strategic positioning of the university.
• Supports the Associate Vice-President on numerous strategic files, forums, and consortia whether on campus or abroad.
What we expect:
• A master's level degree with at least 7 years of management and supervisory experience.
• Proven experience in strategic planning and senior management in an academic or other relevant setting.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and build relationships at all levels within an institution and manage key partnerships with senior stakeholders.
• Experience managing and leading cross-cultural teams with proven results, as well as significant leadership experience with regards to managing resources (human, financial, etc.).
• Demonstrated ability to compile, analyze and synthesize data (quantitative and qualitative) relating to large, complex, and multi-jurisdictional networks, consortia, or projects.
• Profound and demonstrated understanding of global trends relating to the internationalization of higher education.
• Demonstrated ability to align policies and operations with broader institutional goals.
Who you are:
• Someone with the capacity to thrive in a diverse environment.
• You absorb chaos as a leader and project calm to promote the best performance from a team.
• You foster a positive culture focused on kindness, knowledge sharing, and skill building.
• You have excellent communication skills including interpersonal, written, and public speaking.
• You are a strategic leader, taking initiative and using good judgement while being flexible during challenges.
• You have a spirit of positive restlessness – striving to innovate and seeing possibilities where others see problems.
What you can expect:
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Maintain your well-being. We offer competitive compensation and benefits to our employees including merit-based salary increases, a robust Health and Dental Plan, a pension plan, and flexible personal time off.
Boost your happiness. You’ll enjoy going to work every day at VIU. We pride ourselves on a positive culture that brings staff together in a welcoming and curious campus environment.
If you are interested in this opportunity, contact Dr. Jennie Massey at email@example.com, Kyle Steele at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Debra Clinton at email@example.com or submit your full application package online here: