University Lead, Student Advising
Institution: York University
Deadline: September 30, 2022
Posted: August 23, 2022
York is a leading international teaching and research university, and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for their long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet and our future.
To advance the Division of Students' vision as Partners in Student Success', the University Lead will be responsible for providing strategic leadership for student advising services at York University. The successful incumbent will use their strong relationship building and change management skills to strengthen the culture of collaboration, learning and continuous improvement in our academic and broader advising community, without a direct reporting relationship. This will include leading programs, strategies, and professional learning opportunities that support exceptional advising and overall student success. The incumbent will also use their strong consultation skills to engage with key stakeholders from across the university with the aim of building collaborative partnerships that better serve our diverse student population. This position requires a student-focused professional who shares and lives our divisional values of Courage, Connection and Empathy. These values must be demonstrated through a commitment to service excellence, as well as equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI), whereby the incumbent works in close collaboration with students, student groups, faculty and staff from across the University to support an exceptional advising experience for all students.
Completion of a Master's degree in an academic discipline related to the role (such as education, leadership, student affairs, and public administration), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
At least 7+ years of related experience, in a post-secondary or education environment. Experience in an academic advising or student services role strongly preferred.
Demonstrated experience collaborating and building consensus with colleagues, stakeholders and senior leadership to develop and implement strategic plans, initiatives and programs.
Experience and success in providing and/or creating conditions for service excellence for a variety of stakeholders such as students, faculty, clients, customers, colleagues, users, etc.
Experience applying the Appreciative Advising framework to support excellence in the delivery of student services strong preferred.
Experience creating professional learning programs and resources that support improved service excellence.
Experience utilizing qualitative and quantitative research and program assessment to drive improvement.
Experience advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) through program design and implementation.
Experience interpreting and applying academic policy strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of promising practices and research related to academic advising, student success and equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI).
- Demonstrated understanding of the Appreciative Advising model and its application in the delivery of student advising practice.
- Knowledge of change management and project management tools, principles and best practices
- Strong understanding of research methods and analysis for the purpose of evaluating and improving services.
- Awareness of university regulations, policies and procedures related to academic advising.
- Awareness of the Civitas Learning Platforms (e.g. Inspire), QLess and York University's strategic frameworks considered an asset. Skills
- Exceptional strategic leadership skills used to build consensus, achieve buy-in and lead advising colleagues without a direct reporting relationship.
- Demonstrated ability to apply change management principles in the development and roll-out of a professional learning strategy
- Ability to effectively initiate and manage transformation and change at an organizational level.
- Ability to use creativity and critical thinking skills to explore, make connections and solve problems.
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building, negotiation and consultation skills demonstrated when engaging internal and external stakeholders, including students.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills demonstrated when leading professional learning sessions, briefing senior leadership and facilitating meetings.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills used to manage multiple priorities and navigate approval processes within tight timelines, including the ability to leverage project management tools and software
- Strong research, analytical and evaluation skills used to assess program outcomes, as well as drive transformation and improvement
- Ability to provide leadership to direct reports, including performance management.
- Ability to interpret academic advising legislation and policy to identify issues for senior leadership, provide guidance to the academic advising community, as well as design and deliver professional learning opportunities
- Ability to work with large student information systems.
- Proficient with the MS Office suite of products.
- Demonstrated commitment to service excellence, the Divisional values of Courage, Connection and Empathy.
For full position details, including skills and knowledge requirements, and to apply to this exciting opportunity visit the External Career Portal (www.yorku.ca/jobs) and refer to posting 106464