Senior Manager, Learning Support and Disability Resources
Institution: Justice Institute of British Columbia
New Westminster, BC
Deadline: September 29, 2022
Posted: September 9, 2022
We invite applications for the position of Senior Manager, Learning Support and Disability Resources, Student Affairs. This is a full-time regular position reporting to the Director, Student Affairs & Registrar. This position is based at our New Westminster, BC campus.
Justice Institute of British Columbia:
Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC) is Canada’s leading public safety educator with a mission to develop dynamic justice and public safety professionals through its exceptional applied education, training and research. JIBC offers internationally recognized education that leads to certificates, diplomas, bachelor’s degrees and graduate certificates; exceptional continuing education for work and career-related learning and development; and customized contract training to government agencies and private organizations worldwide. Each year, over 36,000 students study at one of JIBC’s six campuses in B.C., through online education, and at locations in more than 150 BC communities, as well as sites across Canada and around the world. Our education contributes to safer communities and a more just society by providing professionals with the knowledge, skills and abilities to excel at every stage of their careers and make a difference every day.
Are you curious, service-oriented, and passionate about post-secondary education and public safety? If you are, this position may be a great fit for you. Working with other members of the Student Affairs team, you will be responsible for providing career, educational and learning support, including curriculum development, for students of JIBC. You will also develop and maintain a comprehensive external referral network for those students requiring counselling services.
You will oversee the accommodation of students with disabilities and special learning needs including assessment of documentation and development of appropriate learning-related accommodations and service requirements. As the Manager, you will work with other divisions, including Academic Services, to build capacity throughout the JIBC for identifying and responding to students with learning support needs, with the goal of greater retention and success of JIBC students. You will provide leadership, direction and guidance to those who support students, and will provide further education, including professional development, specifically for coordinators and instructional staff on topics related to student need and student success.
Qualifications & Requirements:
• University degree at a Masters level preferred, in a relevant field (Social Work, Education, Educational Psychology related field).
• Five years’ experience in an educational setting, with experience counselling young adults and mature students;
• Experience responding to students with learning challenges and with students requiring disability accommodations;
• Experience in providing mental health support, including risk assessment and crisis intervention;
• Suicide prevention training / experience preferred;
• Training and experience in de-escalation;
• Working knowledge of support resources;
• Experience and knowledge for supporting violence / sexualized violence;
• Understanding of wellness programs, techniques and strategies;
• Experience in developing and delivering workshops to faculty and staff;
• Experience in producing support materials for students, staff, and faculty;
• Experience dealing with international and indigenous students preferred.
We offer a total compensation package that includes a benefit plan, which includes Extended Health and Dental Benefits after three months, and enrollment in the College Pension Plan upon hire. In addition, we offer 20 vacation days and 10 Personal Days annually (pro-rated in first year), as well as generous other leave entitlements.
Please visit our website at https://www.jibc.ca/about-us/working-jibc for a more detailed job posting.