Institution: York University
Deadline: September 30, 2022
Posted: September 14, 2022
York is a leading international teaching and research university, and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for their long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet and our future.
In advancing the Division of Students’ vision as ‘Partners in Student Success’ the Career Educator position provides informed and responsive job search and career development support to students and recent graduates. This role works as a member of the Career Development team to create and facilitate in-person workshops and online webinars, develop curriculum for online career modules and provide individual support to students. The Career Educator will assist students with developing action plans and identifying the skills required to be successful in their individual job search and in their broader career goals.
The Career Educator also works directly with student staff – providing comprehensive training, ongoing mentoring and support for a team of career peer educators and/or college practicum students from the Career Development Practitioner program.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will bring the following:
• University undergraduate degree OR an equivalent of four years of recent full-time experience working at York University performing the same or similar tasks; AND a Career and Work Counsellor/Career Development Practitioner diploma or Career Development Practitioner (CDP) certification or comparable 1-year post graduate education in career development
This education equivalency is in addition to the experiential requirements outlined below
To be successful in this role, you have:
• Two years’ recent related experience facilitating career and job search skills development (e.g. advising students on job search and career development skills, developing and delivering job search and career development skills workshops and webinars, etc.) preferably working with students and new graduates in a fastpaced post-secondary or comparable environment
• Experience training and mentoring
• Experience working with diverse communities preferred
• Knowledge of current job search strategies, methods and use Demonstrated skill/ability in the following areas; advising/listening to clients re job search strategies, workshop design, development and evaluation using adult education principles.
• Facilitation skills.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills
• Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
• Ability to understand the use of social media for job searching including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media platforms
• Familiarity with e-learning technologies such as Moodle and ability to create multimedia pieces an asset
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to interact effectively within a highly collaborative, team-centered environment to meet unit goals and objectives
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task and prioritize competing demands
• Good judgment and decision making skills
• Strong initiative genuine interest in emerging job search strategies, methods and commitment to keeping abreast of new developments in the field
• Proficiency with MS Office Suite (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) at the intermediate level
• Proficient use of electronic mail and computerized scheduling
• Proficient use on-line video conferencing tools e.g., MS Teams, ZOOM, Skype
• Ability to work with client relationship management system databases
• Demonstrated experience and success in providing and/or creating conditions for service excellence for a variety of stakeholders such as students, faculty, clients, customers and colleagues
• Demonstrated commitment to the values of creating student success: Care, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect, Innovation, Excellence and Inclusion
For full position details, including skills and knowledge requirements, and to apply to this exciting opportunity visit the External Career Portal (www.yorku.ca/jobs) and refer to posting 106305
We offer comprehensive benefits and access to superb educational and recreational facilities. For more information on what York has to offer U please visit: http://hr.info.yorku.ca/benefits/