International Student Services Coordinator
Institution: York University - Keele Campus
Deadline: October 4, 2022
Posted: September 20, 2022
York International (YI) leads, coordinates and supports York University's internationalization and global engagement priorities. The Department works closely with colleagues in the Faculties to develop strategic directions and plans in relation to the attraction and retention of outstanding international undergraduate and graduate students to grow and diversify the student body. The Department delivers support services to York University international student and scholar population that originates from more than 170 countries. York International welcomes and supports new (incoming) international students (including exchange students) who transition to York University each year as well as current international students and scholars. YI's services include over 150 annual international student events, providing transition support, immigration expertise and services, and the facilitation of University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for students, visitors and dependent families. Reporting to the Director, International Student and Scholar Services, the International Student Services Coordinator will coordinate services for international students through York International. The incumbent will enhance the international student experience at York through three major functional areas: administering the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), coordinating services and supports including advising for international students, and improving/maintaining modes of information delivery/advising to international students. This role will be integral to providing frontline service and advising to international students.With over 10,000 international students at York, the Student Services Coordinator will be the main administrator for the UHIP program. The role will enroll students, process refunds/reversals, answer questions and inquiries, ensure UHIP and OHIP eligibility, and will actively participate in the reconciliation of the General Ledger and remittance of payment to the insurance provider.
Minimum of 2 years recent experience working in a post-secondary school environment with students including advising. Experience includes program development and implementation for students, Financial experience involving account monitoring, reconciliation, working with General Ledger, and invoicing as well as proficiency with working with large amounts of data.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including tact and diplomacy to deal with diverse individuals.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills to handle and coordinate multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, anticipate trends in client needs and identifies opportunities to proactively respond.
- Excellent administrative skills including ability to track program documentation (scheduling, record keeping, filing, maintenance of hard copy/electronic records, minutes, report briefs/summaries, incident reports etc.).
- Knowledge of UHIP, OHIP, university and other related policies and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication, including demonstrated ability to respond to inquiries or concerns, provide clear and concise information regarding policies and processes, etc. and prepare and deliver presentations to a variety of individuals/cultures.
- Ability to work independently and effectively under pressure of high volume especially at peak times and as a team player and provide instruction/direction and training to others.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and initiative including ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Intermediate level for word processing (e.g., Word) and Presentation software (e.g., PowerPoint).
- Advanced Excel skills including VLOOKUP, pivot tables.
- Proficiency in using WordPress or other similar website software/programs.
- Proficiency with E-Reports or similar financial reporting software.