Manager, Student Life (Contract)
Seneca College, Seneca@York Campus
Deadline: February 28, 2019
Posted: November 7, 2018
Reporting to the Associate Dean, Student Services and Indigenous Education, the Manager is responsible for the college-wide strategic design, development and delivery of programs and services that begin in the pre-enrolment stage and extend to the full student experience, that assist new students with their transition to the college and that continue to support these students in making a successful academic and social integration to the college community throughout their student experience. The Manager is responsible for overseeing the evaluation of student transitional programs and supporting the College Orientation program, taking responsibility for reporting on and making recommendations for future college-wide programs and initiatives related to student success. The Manager is accountable for the planning, development, delivery and ongoing review of the full range of Student Services provided at the four major campuses and the functional responsibilities of Student Life and Front Line Services at all Student Services offices.
• Collaborates with Deans, Chairs, Directors, Managers and Seneca Student Federation Inc.to ensure departmental services are accessible, relevant and responsive to student and stakeholder needs.
• Liaises with departments regarding student issues and with academic areas regarding student advisement activities at all campuses.
• Ensures effectiveness of departmental campus events and delivery services at campuses by providing students with a high level of service by reviewing and evaluating the one-stop service concept, ensuring that information is current and meets student needs.
• Participates in developing, implementing and evaluating operational plans for the department that are consistent with strategic and business plans.
• Leads and directs to staff so to coordinate activities with residence life; communicates regularly with Residence Life and Operations Staff.
• Oversees the Go Transit Student Discount Program, an effective online student locker rental system and an effective online off-campus housing registry including negotiating contracts and maintaining service agreements, promotion initiatives and dealing with any student concerns.
• Liaises with the SSF regarding thethe adminstration of the Student Health and Dental Plan and acts as a direct liasion with the insurance broker; works with the Insurance Broker to communicate to students about their benefits, including publications and promotional materials.
• Oversees Student Services Publications to ensure they are current and distibuted appropriately.
• Leads the development and implementation of the College’s Co-Curricular Record program; develops/implements policies and procedures, manages revenue stream, facilitates information sessions to promote the program and training sessions for employees to understand the verification process.
• Responsible for the overall direction and vision for the Student Ambassador Program; oversees staff in developing training materials, incentive programs and responsible budgeting and with Financial Aid for administration of the Work Study programs.
• Leads transportation initiatives to support students; works as the external college liaison on committees to promote transportation.
• Responsible for the student leadership awards each year, working with Financial Aid staff and academic partners to select and promote awards.
• Oversees First Generation Services including advisement, awareness training, events, grant funding and reporting to MTCU.
• Reviews range of student life services that complement the academic process to meet the needs of an ethnically diverse student population.
• Provides advocacy and advisement services on behalf of students, to obtain a satisfactory resolution of academic appeals/complaints by gathering pertinent information and interacting with appropriate college personnel and advising students as to their rights at the College.
• Liaises with York University regarding student housing, York Services and sits on the York University Town and Gown Committee.
• Implements integrated programs for a comprehensive first year experience for students, including: College Orientation, Residence Orientation, Classroom Visits and Orientation Leader Program and provides leadership to the teams regarding the overall planning of orientation events to meets the needs of a diverse first year student population, including international, residential, off-campus and commuting students.
• Communicates with parents about transitional issues; educates them about the developmental needs of students and how to support them.
• Maintains knowledge of social and academic trends; liaises with other institutions to share information and best practices to inform new initiatives and development of services; monitors/evaluates programs, provides action plans and takes creative approaches to program design and implementation.
• Collaborates with the Office of Institutional Research to develop tracking and other evaluation processes to measure the effectiveness of initiatives and to participate in research on student retention and attrition patterns and makes recommendations appropriately.
• Leads the department in providing outcomes-based assessment of programs and services utilizing technology such as Campus Labs; develops and conducts student satisfaction surveys and focus group/interviews to assess students’ needs and perceptions and acts upon the findings.
• Prepares analysis reports that direct future program and service planning, for Student Services and for other college departments.
• Maintains a high level of staff performance through effective recruiting, selection, development, motivation, evaluation and training.
• With the Associate Dean, develops, monitors and evaluates budget activity, ensures sound financial planning and budgetary control systems are exercised.
• Demonstrated competencies attained through a three year diploma/degree in in education, the social sciences or a related field is required; experience conducting research is required. A Masters degree is an asset.
• A minimum of 5 years’ related experience, including some experience in program development and coordination.
• Knowledge of student development theory, and the ability to apply theory to practice and advocate on behalf of students is required.
• Excellent facilitation, training, presentation, negotiation and organizational skills, and the ability to remain calm in difficult situations.
• Experience in planning, coordinating and evaluating special events, including risk management.
• Proven leadership ability and experience in building teams within a diverse population, understanding of issues related to diversity and how to resolve and pro-actively educate are necessary skills in working with a very diverse student body.
• Experience managing post-secondary environment.
• Excellent consultative, interpersonal, human relations and communications skills to work collaboratively with the College’s multi-cultural/racial/able students, staff and external stakeholders.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills and knowledge of common research practices are required.
• Marketing, public relations, counselling and computers skill are required.
• Demonstrated experience and skill in project proposal and budget development, project management and strategic planning/visioning.
• A valid Ontario Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle are required for travel between campuses and to meetings.
Note: A skills assessment test may be administered during the recruitment process.
Seneca College is committed to diversity and encourages applications from qualified candidates, especially indigenous persons, members of sexual minority groups, visible minorities, women and persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any part of the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.