Director, Student Retention
Trinity Western University, Langley, British Columbia
Deadline: April 30, 2019
Posted: February 7, 2019
The Director of Student Retention (the "Director") is responsible for partnering with academic and Student Life units and administrative offices on campus to successfully develop, implement, execute, and assess a comprehensive and coordinated student retention plan. The Director gives leadership to implementing and monitoring retention strategies based on data analysis with a primary goal to improve undergraduate retention and graduation rates.
• Retention Leadership: Provides leadership to the ongoing assessment and improvement of the student retention plan. Chairs the Retention Leadership Team ("RLT") and works with academic and Student Life units and administrative staff to oversee the implementation of retention strategies. Oversees all Early Alert efforts and assigns appropriate professionals to provide interventions to enhance students' abilities to persist and succeed academically. Collaborates with the IT Department to increase the use and efficiency of technology in fostering student persistence.
• Retention Analysis: Works with members of the analyst team to maintain effective retention metrics that assist the RLT in its work. Works with institutional offices such as Enrolment Management, the Office of the Registrar, Learning Commons, and Student Life to ensure an integrated approach to data analysis. Information gathered will range from quantitative to qualitative (e.g., student surveys). Implements strategies to positively impact key metrics (e.g. graduation rates, student satisfaction, student retention goals, and credit generation).
• Professional Development: Serves in an advisory role to help faculty and student-facing staff to understand the role that each one can play in effecting a retention enriched environment. Provides regular professional learning opportunities.
• Retention Outcomes: Participates in setting annual retention goals as part of the retention plan and, to the extent possible, attaining those goals as part of the annual institutional plan.
• External Relations: Oversees the reporting requirements of external agencies such as the Consortium for Student Retention Data Exchange. Engages with peer retention groups to remain current with best practices.
Driven and inspired by the idea of positively impacting the various marketplaces of life through the development of godly Christian leaders by serving the Trinity Western University community.
Warm-hearted, dedicated, committed and mature evangelical Christian with a keen desire to serve in family, church, work and community. A firm commitment to TWU’s mission, values, Statement of Faith and Community Covenant. Strength of character and reputation, a pleasant personality with a positive and friendly attitude in the midst of a very busy and challenging atmosphere.
Servant-Leader Way of Life: Act in a manner that exemplifies Jesus Christ in all on and off campus contacts thereby living out the servant leadership mission of the university and contributing effectively towards achieving the institutional and Kingdom goals of the organization.
Key Internal Interactions:
Reports to: None
Standards & Requirements:
Education: Bachelor's degree required, Master's in a related field preferred. Specialized training in student retention, strategic enrichment management, project management an asset.
Experience: The ideal candidate will have general knowledge of various student retention models and the means by which to assess those models and 3 - 5 years' experience retention-related areas in a higher education environment.
Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.