Update regarding 2020 CACUSS ConferenceMarch 13, 2020
Update from CACUSS Board of Directors regarding CACUSS 2020 Conference
As our circumstances are rapidly changing around us, the CACUSS Board of Directors met on Wednesday March 11th to consider COVID-19 and its impact on our upcoming events including the annual conference. We recognize that you and many others at your institution are monitoring this closely, and even as we send this email things are changing.
It is in part, due to the changing nature of this circumstance, that the Board, our staff, and our volunteer committees are moving forward with the annual CACUSS conference scheduled May 31-June 3, 2020 in Toronto, ON. We are well aware that many large gatherings have been postponed or cancelled. However due to the fact that our event is just over 11 weeks away, our decision is to continue to plan and anticipate a successful conference.
Actions we have taken to date:
- Participated in an event risk-informed assessment as it pertains to the conference (location, potential delegates, measures that we and our venue are putting in place),
- Met with our hotel venues and discussed their approach and response to events and the impact on operations,
- Regularly monitoring local, national, institutional (post-secondary industry) responses to the virus as well as the broader event industry response
- Considered the significant financial obligations that the conference (and other events) entail should cancel.
- We have extended the early bird deadline by 2 weeks to April 17, 2020 to allow our members more time to consider their options and possibilities with regards to attendance.
- Working with our small staff team and our Board executive to monitor the situation on a weekly basis moving forward and ensuring we communicate regularly with members, delegates, presenters, and exhibitors/sponsors.
- Build an FAQ section for our conference website that may help answer questions in an ongoing way.
We understand that some institutions are considering travel restrictions and at the time of writing this, we can not ascertain the exact nature of what those restrictions may mean (for local, provincial, national events), as it may vary from location to location. We encourage you to take things one day at a time as we anticipate that things will continue to change over the next 6-8 weeks.
Thank you for all of the work you are doing to support your campus community during these uncertain times. Thank you for your ongoing support of CACUSS and the conference. We are committed to communicating with you as a member, delegate and potential presenter at this conference.